Sunday, June 16, 2013

Happy Father's Day!

My dad's favorite movie was Scrooge with Albert Finney. Every Thanksgiving weekend, he'd dust off our ancient copy and pop it in the VCR. The best part, according to him, was when the Ghost of Christmas Present leans in to the self-pitying Scrooge and says, "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember, time is short, and suddenly, you're not here anymore."

I wish I could have spent more time with my dad, but I am truly grateful for the time we did have. And there were some really, really good times, all of which I'm remembering today.


8 comments:

  1. That is such a great quote, there are so many conversations that I wish I had had with my dad, I never broached his war injuries which blighted him till the day he died - he was a good man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that, as a rule, the really good dads hate to complain. My dad was always of the opinion that talking about stuff never made it better. He never wanted to burden people with things he knew they couldn't change or fix. It sounds like your dad was the same way. Hugs to you, B&P.

      Delete
  2. Love this post and the picture! As Tabs said, great quote - I like a man who likes a good Christmas movie - i would have gotten along with him like a house on fire!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I can't say he had all-around good taste in movies. He also loved Kung Fu flicks, especially one called "The Flying Guillotine." :) I am sure, though, that he would have loved you.

      Delete
  3. A nice story MW.
    My own father died some eighteen years ago. Sometimes it seems as though he has been gone for ages and at other times it seems as though it was just yesterday. So many things have happened in the intervening years that I would have liked to have shared with him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strange how time plays that trick, isn't it?

      Delete
  4. I love my dad dearly. We are spending father's day at my folks with a bucket of Kentucky Fried Chicken. Our family is quite easy to please.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...